It is very easy and simple to print your document, but sometimes you may face problems while doing so. Whenever you experience any problem while printing your documents from a computer, you need to apply several troubleshooting methods to fix it. One of the most common problems that many people encounter while communicating with the printer is the PCL XL Error. If you are getting this error, do not panic. Here, in this article, we have mentioned in detail how to Fix the PCL XL Error when using an HP printer.
What is the PCL XL Error?
Whenever you get such error, you must know what does PCL XL error means and how can you fix it. The PCL XL Error typically occurs when you try to print multiple documents for your HP printer. HP also offers several applications or software like HP support assistant to fix any problem that generally occur with HP devices. One of the main causes, why this problem occurs with your printer, is a corrupted printer driver. In some cases, improper printer settings can also cause the error.
Quick Methods to Fix PCL XL Error on Printer?
When you are getting a PCL XL error when printing your documents, you need to apply some troubleshooting methods to fix the problem. Some of the common methods to fix the problem are given below:
Method 1: Rename Files Associated with your Printer
Many users claim that they are able to fix the error just by renaming the files related to their printer. So, before applying any technical method, you should try the same solution. All you have to do is:
- Press Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location: C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3.
- Now, you need to select the files with the .gpd extension. For this, click the arrow beside Type.
- Select GPD File and change the names of the files as per your preference. However, before renaming these files, it is recommended to create backups first.
- At last, save the changes you made and then restart your PC.
Once your system booting is successfully completed, try to print a sample document again. Check if the PCL XL Error is resolved. If the issue still persists, move to the next solution.
Method 2: Update your Printer Driver
As already mentioned, the problem can be due to a corrupted printer driver in your system. The PCL XL Error can be removed by updating your printer driver to the latest version. Follow the steps given below to update your drivers of the HP LaserJet P2050 Printer or any other printer models:
- Right-click the Windows icon located at the bottom-left corner of your taskbar.
- Select Device Manager from the context menu that appeared on screen.
- Look for your printer from the list of devices and then click on it.
- Right-click on it and select Update Driver from context menu.
Method 3: Change your printer’s printing settings
Sometimes, the wrong configuration in the printing settings can also cause of errors. In such cases, you should customize these settings according to your printer model. In Windows 10, you can follow the following steps to change your printer’s printing setting:
- Open the control panel of your device and change the ‘view by’ settings to large or small icons, as your requirements.
- Then, click on the ‘Devices and Printers’ setting and then right-click next to the name of your printer.
- Now, select ‘Printing Preferences’ and then select the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Set Download font as Softfont in the TrueType Font option.
- Set the ‘Send True Type as Bitmap’ option as Enabled and click Apply button followed by OK.
Once you are done with the above steps, restart your PC as well as the Printer and check if the error has been resolved.
Hope, the above-mentioned help you to fix HP Printer in error state. These methods will help you know how to fix HP printer PCL XL errors. If you are still facing any queries and problems, get in touch with the technical support team of HP printers to bring it to a working state. Experts in printing technical support will help you in all possible ways to fix any problem with your printer.