Though TurboTax is the best software for filing your federal and state taxes, you may encounter some issues while using it. The application allows you to file your taxes on time and that’s too from the comfort of your home. However, among all the errors that TT users complain about, the TurboTax error 42015 is the most common one that occurs while using the software program on your device.
This error restricts you from accessing any of the features of the TurboTax application and impacts the performance of your computer. While this error is quite frustrating, you can easily fix it by applying certain troubleshooting steps. Check out the complete article to know what does TurboTax error code 42015 means and how you can fix it.
What Causes TurboTax Error 42015?
Mainly the error 42015 occurs due to the simultaneous operation of multiple incompatible programs on your device. It can also occur because of a lack of hard disk space on your system. Any corrupted or outdated graphics driver or virus infection can also cause error 42015 on the TurboTax application. Given below are some common reasons that may lead to the occurrence of the 42015 TurboTax error:
- Improper installation of the TurboTax application can display error code 42015.
- Incorrect or corrupted setup file installation of the program
- Presence of virus or malware on your system
- Corrupted or outdated graphics driver
- Inability to delete TurboTax application or hardware from your system
How do I Resolve the TurboTax Error Code 42015?
While there are various troubleshooting methods that you can try to fix the TurboTax 42015 error, here we have mentioned the most effective one:
Method 1 – Close Conflicting Programs
Follow the steps given below to close all the conflicting programs on your Windows system:
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager. This will display the list of programs currently running on your system.
- Navigate to the Processes tab and stop all the programs. For this, one by one select each process and click the “End Task” option located at the bottom of the page.
- Once done, check if the error message of TurboTax reoccurs. If it still persists, then install the TurboTax application again on your computer.
Method 2: Install the Runtime Libraries again
The TurboTax error 65535 or TurboTax error 42015 often occurs because of improper installation of the update, MS Visual C++ package. You can uninstall the current package and install a fresh one by applying the following steps:
- Type cp in the search box located at the bottom-left corner of your screen and press enter. Select Control Panel from the context menu and click on Programs and Features.
- Select and right-click on the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and then tap the Uninstall button from the top of the list.
- After successful uninstallation, reboot your system.
- Then, open the official website of Microsoft and download the latest redistributable package.
After downloading the file, follow all the on-screen instructions to install the package on your device.
Method 3: Run Disk Cleanup
- Before moving further, take the backup of all your files.
- Then, clear your cache and reboot your system.
- Now, you can run the disk cleanup. For this, open your explorer window and then right-click on the main directory and tap the properties option. At last, choose the disk cleanup option.
With the many advantages of TurboTax, you might encounter some issues while using it. Here, we have mentioned some common causes and troubleshooting for TurboTax error 42015. This can degrade the performance of your system as well as TurboTax application, so it is very important to fix it at the earliest. Follow the various troubleshooting methods listed here to file your taxes without any TurboTax error 42015.