TurboTax is a popular tax preparation software in the US. The tool allows its users to prepare and file their taxes online. But if you are using Turbotax on a Windows device, you may get an error message, indicating “Fatal error 1603”. It is very important to fix this error message as soon as possible otherwise it will freeze your system. If this error is not resolved immediately, you are only left with the option to force-stop the TurboTax task using Task Manager. Here, in this article, we have mentioned some common causes and proper troubleshooting methods to fix the Microsoft installer error 1603 TurboTax issue.
What Causes TurboTax Error 1603?
There are several reasons why error 1603 TurboTax may occur on your device. Some of these include:
- TurboTax error code 1603 usually occurs if the version of TurboTax software installed in your system is not compatible with your computer system.
- Probably, the error may also occur because of the corrupted windows files and folder permission.
- Maybe, your TurboTax subscription period has ended.
- Virus and malware threats are also the main reason for the Microsoft installer error 1603 on TurboTax.
- Your system hard disk may not have enough memory space or may have some manufacturing defects.
- The windows update might be interrupted by the other security software like Avast or AVG installed in your system.
How Do I Fix the Windows Installer TurboTax Error Code 1603?
Here, in this section, we have mentioned a few reliable fixes to troubleshoot Fatal error 1603 when trying to update TurboTax. Just apply these methods to fix this TurboTax error on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 devices.
Method 01: Update TurboTax via Control Panel
In this fix, we recommend you reinstall or update the conflicting program that is causing the TurboTax error code 1603 on your system. Go through the following steps to update or reinstall the program on Windows 10 system:
- Firstly, tap the “Windows” key to open the “Start Menu”.
- In the “Search” field, type “Control Panel”.
- Now, enter “Programs and Features” and select the conflicting program.
- Select the “Uninstall” or “Update” option as per your preference.
Method 02: Install the Runtime Libraries Again
This Turbotax failed to install update Microsoft installer error 1603 can be resolved by reinstalling the runtime libraries. To reinstall them, you can go through the following steps:
- Open the “Start Menu” and then launch “Control Panel”.
- Locate and tap the “Programs and Features” option.
- Now, the “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package” will be highlighted.
- In the list, choose the “Uninstall” option located at the top.
- Next, you have to reboot your PC.
- Now, download the most recent redistributable package and go through the on-screen instructions to install it.
Once the runtime libraries get reinstalled on your system, check if the TurboTax Windows installer error 1603 occurs or not.
Method 03: Reinstall TurboTax and Run It as Admin
If none of the above methods helped, then you can re-install the TurboTax software in your system. All you have to do is:
- Press the Windows + I Keys to open Settings, and click Apps.
- Scroll down and locate the TurboTax application. You can even use the search field to quickly find the app.
- Select TurboTax and press the Uninstall button.
- Wait till the software is completely uninstalled from your system, and then restart your computer.
- After that, turn off your firewall.
- Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbotax and change the name of the directory to TurbotaxOldInstall.
- Enter login credentials to log in to your Intuit account and download the TurboTax software again on your device.
- Right-click on the installer and run it as an administrator.
- Wait till the TurboTax software is installed in your system.
- After successfully downloading, launch the app and make sure all the information you previously entered is still there.
- Now, go through the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the installation process.
Hope, the above-mentioned methods helped you to fix the Microsoft installer error 1603 on TurboTax. One of the best options to fix the TurboTax error 1603 is uninstalling and reinstalling the program as an administrator. You can even manually update the version of TurboTax from Intuit’s website. If the problem still persists, contact Intuit’s customer support service. The professional experts are available 24*7 to troubleshoot the issue.