Among a few common issues that occur while using the Outlook email client, Outlook data files cannot be accessed is quite common. There are several reasons why the Outlook data file or PST file fails to open on your Windows system. Mainly, this issue occurs after a Windows update or while migrating an old Outlook file. Many users encountered this issue while sending/receiving the email messages or after installing an Outlook syncing app (like iTunes). Here, in this article, we have mentioned common causes and proper troubleshooting methods to fix this Outlook issue.
Why Outlook Data File Cannot Be Accessed?
There are several instances of why you cannot access the Outlook data file (PST file) on your device. Some of the common reasons are:
- Corrupt Outlook Data File: Sometimes, the Outlook data file might itself be corrupt. In such cases, you will be unable to access those PST files.
- Corrupt Cached Exchange Data: If your Outlook client is working in the cached Exchange mode, then its corrupt cached data can cause the Outlook data file access issue.
- Conflicting Apps: Any application on your system might be interfering with the Outlook’s file and thus make them unable to access for you.
- Corrupt Office Installation: The Outlook file access issue is due to the installation of the corrupt Office suite.
How do I fix Outlook Data File Cannot Be Opened Error?
Here in this section, we have mentioned a complete guide on how to fix ‘outlook data file cannot be accessed.’, 0x8004010f issue. These manual methods can help you to fix the corrupt PST file.
Method 01: Create a new Outlook profile
Instances may occur when your Outlook profile may get corrupted and thus you will be unable to access them. To get out of such a situation, you can create a new Outlook profile by following these simple steps:
- Firstly, press Windows + X Key to open the Quick link menu and select Settings from the list.
- From the Settings window, click on Accounts > Email & accounts.
- Next, you need to tap the Add an account button. This will open the “Add an account” window on the screen.
- Choose the E-mail Account option, and provide all the required account information, like your profile name and other personal information. Click the Next button.
- At last, click the Finish button after which your account will be created.
Method 02: Fix Old Outlook Profile
You can change the message delivery location to a temporary folder and then change it back to reconfigure Outlook settings. This may fix the Outlook data file that cannot be accessed shared mailbox issue. You can try this method if you do not want to create a new Outlook profile. All you have to do is follow the below-given steps to fix the PST file error.
- Navigate to File > Account Settings > Account Settings and then select Change Folder.
- Now, select the New Outlook Data File option to create a temporary data file.
- Next, you need to provide a name for this new Outlook data file and then tap OK.
- Expand the subfolders and choose the Inbox folder.
- Click the OK button to close the dialog box and again tap the Change Folder button.
- Now expand the subfolder and choose your Original Inbox folder data file. Click the OK button to continue.
- Now navigate to the Data Files tab and delete the earlier created temporary OST file.
- Close the Account Settings dialog box and click the ‘Send/Receive’ button to ensure if the sending’ reported error (0x8004010f) is resolved.
Method 03: Repair Outlook
If the above methods fail to fix Outlook Data File Cannot be opened issue, you may try to repair the Outlook installation files. For this:
- Open the Control Panel window. Go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Locate and click on “Microsoft Office.”
- Select the Change option.
- Then choose Repair and Continue and go through the on-screen instructions.
- Once the repair process is completed, open Outlook and check if the error is fixed.
Mostly, the Outlook data file cannot be accessed error occurs because of a corrupt Outlook profile. However, in this article, we have mentioned some proper troubleshooting methods to fix this error. If there is any problem with the Outlook data file (OST or PST), then you can use the SCANPST.EXE tool to fix them. Try these methods to fix your Outlook data file issues.